We love travel and we love to save money on vacation. And of course we love exploring all the different destinations that we visit. Whether we are road tripping it across the USA, hanging out in Seattle for a weekend, or traveling to Dublin or even Cambodia, we are always looking for fun and inexpensive things to do. That’s where our hobby of Geocaching has come in handy. Geocaching is an inexpensive way to explore a destination, and it provides a pretty fun and unique way to do it.
Save Money on Vacation – #TravelCaching, Combining Travel and Geocaching
We’ve dubbed this type of travel “Travel Geocaching,” or “TravelCaching” for short. The great thing about TravelCaching is that you can do it however you want.
If you are a new or casual geocacher, then you can combine a bit of caching here and there during your trip to enhance your travels. If you are a hardcore Geocacher, then you may plan an entire trip around GeoTours / Trails that you want to complete so you can improve your stats and earn rewards.
So it’s entirely up to you how you want to combine Geocaching with your travels!
Why Go Geocaching on Your Next Vacation?
There are so many reasons why you might want to go Geocaching during your next trip. Below are some of our top reasons for Travel Caching:
- To break up a long road trip, like when we stopped to find “Mingo” in the middle of a 13-hour road trip across Kansas!
- Add purpose to a walk in the park – we cached in Central Park NYC and all over Piedmont Park in Atlanta!
- Explore a city – like when we went Geocaching around Dublin, Ireland
- Visit off-the-beaten-path local neighborhoods & eateries (like we did in Playa del Carmen, Mexico)
- To get outdoors and go for a nature hike – many state and national parks have great geocaches on hiking trails
- Learn some history in a fun way & interactive way – like the DC Star-Spangled Banner GeoTour or Georgia State Historic Sites
Who Needs a Tour Guide? GeoTours & GeoTrails Give You a Tour of a Destination
Planning out our Geocaching travel adventures has been made a lot easier by our discovery of GeoTours & GeoTrails!
GeoTours (or GeoTrails) is a “Tour” of a destination through a series of geocaches that are set up by an organization or individual.
There are a wide variety of tours all over the world, and especially in the USA. In fact, many state and local tourism boards have discovered how Geocaching can enhance a tourist’s experience through GeoTours or GeoTrails.
Each GeoTour or GeoTrail is unique and often provides an entertaining and deeper understanding of the destination. Some will have specific themes, while others will have prizes at the end for finishing the entire tour.
So why pay for a tour guide if Geocaching can take you on a tour! In fact, on multiple occasions we have been on vacation and touring a city through Geocaching — and we were standing alongside people and their paid tour guide. Yet, we didn’t have to pay for the tour!
New TravelCaching Resources Available to Make Planning Your Trip Easy
GeoTours & GeoTrails are such a cool way to explore when you travel! So we wanted to make it easy for our readers to browse GeoTours & GeoTrails by region, and help them plan their trip!
We have created a sub-page on our “Geocaching” section of our website specifically for GeoTrails & GeoTours
- Click on the “Geocaching” link under the “Interests” tab along with the top menu
- Then scroll down to the “GeoTours” section of the Geocaching page
- Click on the button for “GeoTours”
- Then you may search the map of the USA for a list of GeoTours / Trails in that region — with links to quickly access the information about the caches. You will also find lists of international GeoTrails below the map.
Some of the bigger tours actually link to a “tour” page on our site, which gives you more details about the tour and the organization who sponsors it. Others will take you directly to a bookmark of caches on Geocaching.com.
Find GeoTours, Then Plan Out Your Trip
Once you find the Tours & Trails that you want to do, then you can set out planning the rest of your trip. Whether you are looking for hotels, rental cars, or fun activities to do during your trip, we’ve put everything in one place for you to plan your entire adventure!
Have Fun Planning Your Next Adventure
Regardless of the type of traveler you are, there is some element of Geocaching that will appeal to you. We hope you find these resources helpful in planning your trip.
Our goal is to inspire you and give you easy access to Geocaching adventures, while making it easy to plan your trip!