Teach English in China
Deciding to teach English in China is something we have never once regretted. But we understand it is a big decision to make. On this page you will find a number of helpful stories about our experiences: why we decided to teach English abroad, why China, and information about the schools that we teach at.
Feel free to contact us or leave a comment if you have questions!
Jobs teaching English in China can vary widely. Really, your experience depends on a number of factors such as:
- Who you want to teach (kids, teenagers, or adults)
- Where you want to teach (Local schools, private / international schools, after school / work English training schools, private tutoring, corporate English consulting / training)
- Where you want to live (Major cities like Beijing or Shanghai, other smaller cities like Kunming or Chengdu, or the countryside)
The two of us chose to work at after-school / work English training schools. So we work primarily on the evenings and weekends, with our off-days on Mondays and Tuesdays (which we like because it’s less crowded to go out and about around town).
English Teaching Stories from the Blog
Interested in Teaching English in China?
To give you an idea of what to expect, below are the applicant guidelines and job description for First Leap, the school that Josh works at.
First Leap Applicant Guidelines & Job Description:
- Prepare and administer English lesson for students
- Create lesson plans according to school and class curriculum.
- Be responsible and knowledgeable, which includes developing student listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills
- Maximum 14 students in one class plus Chinese English Teacher Assistant
- Student Age Range from 1.5 – 14 years old
- 32 total hours 5 days per week. 3:30pm-8:30pm Wednesday to Friday and 9:00am-7:00pm Saturday and Sunday
- Teaching Subject will include Art, Music, Drama, Science, Book Reading, Virtual PE, Global Leadership, World Culture, Logical Thinking
- Competitive salary–from 7,000 to 11,000 RMB depending on location, qualifications.
- Monthly performance bonus
- Accommodation allowance
- 6,000 RMB airfare bonus given upon completion of one-year contract
- Reimbursed work visa
- Paid holidays and time off available upon request
- An induction program, regular teacher training, and academic development workshop at Beijing HQ
- On-going team-building activities organized by the school
- Native English Speaker (USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom)
- Bachelor’s degree
- TESOL, TEFL, or equivalent certificate
- Reference letter (if possible)
- Availability and a profile photo
- Must Love working with kids